Torque BS Filter ''

RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au
Wed Feb 26 02:43:28 GMT 1997

>I do not know about torque per cubic in relationships of puny gutless
>car diesels, but I do know that car diesels are generally wimpy (VW,
>Mercedes, Cadilac etc) and what goes into industrial units whips the
>pants of car crapolla. This however might be due to deliberate
>detuning of automotive units so that they can use cheaper gas
>strength components rather than going to the high strength (re
>weight) industrial stuff ...

I think you'll have to provide some numbers to prove this point and
since most industrial stationary diesels are de-rated to improve the
MTBF (life) I suspect automotive diesels have as good specific torque
and better specific power than industrial engines.

>I also know that a check for a formula that requires you reach an
>unreachable rpm, the check is basically useless.

I agree.  This 5252 cross-over point is a waste of time.  It has no
technical meaning and it relies on imperial (english) units and a
common power-torque scale.  Most of the world works in SI and most
graphs have separate power and torque scales rendering to whole idea
pretty useless at best.

(cont...)