Torque BS Filter ''

Dick Brewster dbrewste at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 26 05:28:19 GMT 1997

RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au wrote:

> >I do not know about torque per cubic in relationships of puny gutless
> >car diesels, but I do know that car diesels are generally wimpy (VW,
> >Mercedes, Cadilac etc) and what goes into industrial units whips the
> >pants of car crapolla. This however might be due to deliberate
> >detuning of automotive units so that they can use cheaper gas
> >strength components rather than going to the high strength (re
> >weight) industrial stuff ...
>
> I think you'll have to provide some numbers to prove this point and
> since most industrial stationary diesels are de-rated to improve the
> MTBF (life) I suspect automotive diesels have as good specific torque
> and better specific power than industrial engines.

I looked in an international Diesel/Turbine engine catalogue today.
Naturally aspirated diesels are a small minority, but most of the
vehicular (truck, off road equip etc) ran .75 to .85 ft-lb/cubic inch.
Since they are running excess air for efficency and to prevent smoke,
they are running pretty high VE.  I think the other person meant trucks
when he said "industrial".  Actually, it looks like modern naturally
aspirated diesels do a pretty good job of filling their cylinders. They
just can't match a gas engine when it comes to specific torque (thinking
I am agreeing with what you have said).  They need something like 15-20%
excess air, so they can never match a gas engine that uses all it's air.

--
Dick Brewster                          dbrewste@
                                   ix.netcom.com

Suzuki GSF1200S                    Honda CB700SC