What is 100% VE?

Paul Rosser paul.r at xtra.co.nz
Wed Feb 26 19:52:24 GMT 1997

You get a A grade Pass. All of the things you mentioned are true including peak talk occurs at peak VE. Now with a normal family car the VE is only about 60-75% due to left over exhaust gases and restrictions in the intake side of the engine. Now with a full tuned race motor it is possible to go well beyond this and up to 120% (I imagine higher than this due to the fact that it is possible to get 300HP from a 2L engine but I have not seen any such figures.). The best way to measure this is to use an airflow meter at peak torque and divide it by the RPM you are doing. There are other ways of measuring it but they are indirect and imprecise.

Paul

At 01:02 AM 2/26/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Newbie question, what exactly is 100% volumetric efficiency?  Is

>it simply the 100% filling of a cylinder during the compression

>stroke?  - a 400 cc cylinder sucks in 400 cc (in mass?) of A/F?

>How do you measure VE?

>I have this sentence stuck in my mind, I think I read it on this

>list a week or two ago.  "An engine peaks in VE at its torque

>peak."  That's true right?

>--

>Frank M. Lin	  | G.speed - Z.Speed Trust HKS DC-Sports Razo/Carmate Soei

>fmlin at ccnet.com   | Web page - http://www.ccnet.com/~fmlin/gspeed.html

>EG2, 2:0x @ Sears | Info sheet - "finger fmlin at ccnet.com > gspeed.info"

<center>

Paul Rosser

</color>587 Frankley Rd	             	Ph  64 6 7539372

New Plymouth				Fax 64 3 7539372

New Zealand

<bold><underline>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3812

</center>