injecting a *small* engine

Paul Rosser paul.r at xtra.co.nz
Wed Feb 26 19:52:27 GMT 1997

Do not worry about trying to inject such a small motor. Since it is on such=
 a small scale you will having trouble getting sensors and injectors to run=
 a such low increments. The advantages of going to Fuel injection is only=
 about 10% in a certain rev range (Over a properly tuned carb) and with a=
 motor that puts out only around 3-5HP this is looking in the wrong place.=
 since it is OHC engine I presume its a 4 stroke. Have you tried to get it=
 cam'ed. Do things like port it and increase the compression ratio. Crank=
 the timing forward and use a proper race carb. These mods will yield more=
 power than EFI will give you. For example most of the racing motorbikes=
 that are being raced (250-1500cc) are mostly carbed. One area that EFI has=
 over carbs is in tuning. When an engine is being tuned with carbs it takes=
 a long time and a lot of expense (Dyno) to get things running fine. With=
 EFI This time and expense is greatly reduced. Now when comparing a race car=
 motor with a slightly modified moped motor the expense is really minor.=
 Ever tried tuning 3 DCOE weber's compared to a single motorcycle carb. If=
 you want some idea's go to my web page and on the personal section (about=
 me) have a look at my minibike.

Paul

At 12:21 PM 2/26/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi,

>Just been on the list for a while to check it out. I have some=20

>questions concerning ignition and injection controlling.

>First let me introduce myself: I am 20 years old and study=20

>engineering in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. My University provide=20

>me with email and internet, so I use it to get more info about my=20

>hobby. I have a Honda SS50 moped, wich is an OHC single cylinder 50 cc=20

>engine. I use a 70 cc cilinder and head on it from another model.

>I already know a lot about it and plan to race it here in the fall.=20

>Since I'm very interested in making it go really fast, I want to know=20

>if, and how I can inject this small engine.

>Maybe it's out of subject since all you guys seem to have cars or=20

>motorcycles with more cyl's and definitely more cc's but I can try=20

>anyway can't I ?

>I know of a Finnish fuel economy team who use this type engine with a=20

>42cc and have used a hestec system for fuel injection. The problem=20

>is, they haven't responded to my mail so maybe they're not so keen on=20

>the principles of sharing.

>I would like a cheap system, maybe a DIY to do this myself.

>Is this possible?

>I have all the files for the Digital distributorless ignition system=20

>and it seems pretty good and flexible enough. If I build that, can I=20

>add an injection controller later on ?

>Remember I'm just a student so the stuff has to come cheap.

>There's two ways to power: The money way, or the work way.

>Please advise me on this subject, and the difficulties I may=20

>encounter. You guys appear to me like you really know what you're=20

>talking about.

>August de Heij.

<center>

Paul Rosser

</color>587 Frankley Rd	             	Ph  64 6 7539372

New Plymouth				Fax 64 3 7539372

New Zealand

<bold><underline>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3812

________