What is 100% VE?

Mazda Ebrahimi kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 26 22:35:16 GMT 1997

Frank/G.speed wrote:

> Newbie question, what exactly is 100% volumetric efficiency?  Is
> it simply the 100% filling of a cylinder during the compression
> stroke?  - a 400 cc cylinder sucks in 400 cc (in mass?) of A/F?
> How do you measure VE?
>
> I have this sentence stuck in my mind, I think I read it on this
> list a week or two ago.  "An engine peaks in VE at its torque
> peak."  That's true right?
>
> --
> Frank M. Lin      | G.speed - Z.Speed Trust HKS DC-Sports Razo/Carmate Soei
> fmlin at ccnet.com   | Web page - http://www.ccnet.com/~fmlin/gspeed.html
> EG2, 2:0x @ Sears | Info sheet - "finger fmlin at ccnet.com > gspeed.info"

VE is the ratio of the dynamic air flow / theoredical static air flow
for any given operating point.  In your example, you would take the
400cc displacement * RPM/2 (in case of 4 stroke), and that gives the
theoredical static air flow.  Then you measure what the actual engine
air flow is and divide to get VE.  Of course the above calculation is
only true for wide open throttle condition.  At part throttle, you
should also multiply by MAP/BAP.  At least that's my understanding.
It is true that peak torque occures at peak VE, unless there is
something unusual going on, like improper fuel or spark curve, etc.
Peak VE simply means that the engine is at its most efficient point as
an air pump.  All you have to do is make sure you burn it!