Looking for an EFI system for a V8 engine.

kleenair at ix.netcom.com kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 8 13:06:12 GMT 1997

Evert Rosseel wrote:

> Hi !
>
> We are currently looking for an EFI system for a V8 engine.
> The engine is a Chevy big block, converted for operation on natural
> gas and/or hydrogen and currently works with a gas carburettor on an
> engine test stand (fully equipped with instrumentation).
>
> The EFI system should have the following specifications :
> - is to be used for timed, multipoint port injection
> - fully sequential injection : each cylinder must have a seperate
> injection period, at the same location in the cycle (for example :
> during the inlet stroke).(This is necessary with hydrogen because of
> problems with preignition and backfire and also because up to 20% of
> the air is displaced by the hydrogen what would lead to differences
> in power between cylinders if the injection is not fully sequential)
> - the injectors need to be driven at 24V (although it may be possible
> to take a 12V signal and convert it to 24V)
> - operation without lambda sensor (we specifically don't want to run
> at the same richness all the time and any EFI system that works
> in a closed loop would make this impossible without complicating the
> system)
> - preferably programmable via PC, if possible even during running
> (for our experiments it would be very awkward to have to stop the
> engine every time we want to change a parameter)
>
> We need a system that is capable of starting the engine reliably and
> running it at all speeds and at all throttle settings. Once this is
> possible fine tuning of the equivalence ratio can be done
> by changing the gas supply pressure for instance.
> We assume the biggest problem will be to get the engine idling.
>
> Can anybody point me out where I can find such a system ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dr. ir. Evert Rosseel

> *    Dr. ir. Evert Rosseel                                             *
> *    Laboratory for Machines                                   *
> *    Department of Mechanical and Thermal Engineering          *
> *    University Gent                                           *
> *    Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, 9000 Gent, Belgium            *
> *    Tel : ++32 9 264.33.06                                    *
> *    Fax : ++32 9 264.35.86                                    *
> *    Email : Evert.Rosseel at rug.ac.be                           *
> *    WWW : http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~erosseel/motoren.htm      *

Hi,

I'm currently working on such a system.  Injectors are available from
Siemens or Servojet here in the US.  My electronics are based on a 16 bit
processor, and I can handle up to eight injectors, four ignition coils,
drive by wire, transmission control, EGR control, exhaust temperature or
oxygen sensor feedback and catalyst monitoring function.

Currently we are finishing hardware prototype manufacturing, and software
design will start soon.

The only off the shelf system I know of that is suitable for your needs
is probably the MOTEC system, but I have no personal experience with it.
You can find their distributors on the internet.

If you are interested in my system please contact me directly at:
kleenair at ix.netcom.com

We will consider developing custom software for your application if there
is some funding available.

Best Regards,
Mazda Ebrahimi
Development Engineer