octane booster

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu Jan 9 12:11:29 GMT 1997

-> This is a very hot issue in California, where MTBE was first
-> introduced, and where the problem is now quite wide spread.  There
-> has been plenty of coverage in the newspapers of this issue.

 MTBE is also brutal to many rubber and plastic components, smells bad,
and sufficient MTBE contamination can cause many carbureted cars to idle
badly or not at all.  Fortunately it's not too common in my area
(Arkansas) yet, but a tankful in Oklahoma ate the fuel lines out of my
Yamaha before I made it from OKC to Fort Smith.  Filled the float bowls
up with rubber goo.