Conversion to TPI

Steve Ravet steve at imes.com
Thu Jan 9 18:06:08 GMT 1997

At 12:09 AM 1/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I am considering converting my '84 Chevy K5 Blazer with a stock 350 and
>700R4 tranny to EFI. I am considering purchasing a "complete TPI kit"
>from one of several suppliers. Though this seems like the easiest way to
>get all the nessecary parts it is also the most expensive, which lends
>me towards pulling a system from a bone yard. My problem is I don't know
>what veichle would make a good donor, I would need the complete
>induction system, ECM and all smog equipment(California). Any ideas?
>What kind of problems can I expect? Anything I should consider before
>starting this conversion? I would also need a recalibrated EPROM,
>wouldn't I? If so does anyone here have any experince with calibrating
>after such a conversion? When the time comes if someone could burn me a
>chip (or even e-mail the data dump) I would be willing to pay for your
>time...assuming you would be able to help with any follow up tweaking.
>Any advise/recomendations or tales of experince would be greatly
>appreciated.

Hi Mike, one thing I would consider is buying a complete used engine from
the wrecking yard.  I just put a TBI 350 in my S-10, the engine cost me
$900 from the boneyard.  That is *complete*, with wiring harness, all
sensors, charcoal cannister, computer, *everything*.  It came from a '91
Caprice w/40,000 miles, and I put it straight in.  I only replaced the rear
seal and the oil pan gasket.  That's less money than I've seen anyone
mention for a Holley or other TBI kit, plus you have a spare engine when
you are done.  There's a book from a company called JTR that you might want
to buy, it's all about swapping FI Chevy blocks into older non-FI GM cars.
They offer a line of parts also, like VSS sensors, etc.  see
www.jagsthatrun.com

--steve