Conversion to TPI

Jones rwj5125 at electriciti.com
Fri Jan 10 02:08:56 GMT 1997

Steve Ravet wrote:

> At 12:09 AM 1/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >I am considering converting my '84 Chevy K5 Blazer with a stock 350 and
> >700R4 tranny to EFI. I am considering purchasing a "complete TPI kit"
> >from one of several suppliers. Though this seems like the easiest way to
> >get all the nessecary parts it is also the most expensive, which lends
> >me towards pulling a system from a bone yard. My problem is I don't know
> >what veichle would make a good donor, I would need the complete
> >induction system, ECM and all smog equipment(California). Any ideas?
> >What kind of problems can I expect? Anything I should consider before
> >starting this conversion? I would also need a recalibrated EPROM,
> >wouldn't I? If so does anyone here have any experince with calibrating
> >after such a conversion? When the time comes if someone could burn me a
> >chip (or even e-mail the data dump) I would be willing to pay for your
> >time...assuming you would be able to help with any follow up tweaking.
> >Any advise/recomendations or tales of experince would be greatly
> >appreciated.
>
> Hi Mike, one thing I would consider is buying a complete used engine from
> the wrecking yard.  I just put a TBI 350 in my S-10, the engine cost me
> $900 from the boneyard.  That is *complete*, with wiring harness, all
> sensors, charcoal cannister, computer, *everything*.  It came from a '91
> Caprice w/40,000 miles, and I put it straight in.  I only replaced the rear
> seal and the oil pan gasket.  That's less money than I've seen anyone
> mention for a Holley or other TBI kit, plus you have a spare engine when
> you are done.  There's a book from a company called JTR that you might want
> to buy, it's all about swapping FI Chevy blocks into older non-FI GM cars.
> They offer a line of parts also, like VSS sensors, etc.  see
> www.jagsthatrun.com
>
> --steve

Steve,
I don't want to pull a complete engine as mine is a brand new (not
rebuilt) 4-bolt 350 with less than 20k on it now. What I was hopeing for
was info on what veichle would make a good donor. What I will probally
do is get all hard-parts(induction system, relays, computer ect.) and
buy the wiring harness and recalibrated EPROM, if it's nessecary, from
Fuel Injection Specialties in Texas. Any comments/suggestions?

--
Mike Jones
rwj5125 at electriciti.com