Conversion to TPI...More ???

Jones rwj5125 at electriciti.com
Fri Jan 10 02:23:44 GMT 1997

peter paul fenske wrote:

> Hi Mike
>
> Said this before to the point of boring people
>
> Get a J-car computer 87-91 millions of em out there last #s are 730
> on ECM broadcast stamp. While you are at it steal the harness with
> every sensor and transducer you can get from the J car.
>
> Go to you gm dealer and order a calpak for a 90-92 F body with a
> 5.7. Costs me 50$ canadian. You may also order connectors for
> the TPS, the IAC and a large body HEI if you are gonna use one.
>
> For a tpi I'd use the 89-92 setup since the cold start valve
> isn't on the manifold. The older 85 -88 are ok but there is a
> cold start valve that isn't working to explain to the referees
>
> Make sure you get the distributer and connector. Also you may have
> to drill the two center bolts on the manifold of the newer tpis
> to fit older chev heads, no sweat silcone works great.
>
> You will have to figure out the VSS, you might have to get a
> taxi transducer.
>
> In fact JTR Mike Knell sells a great book. Look it up. Summit sells it.
>
> You will also have to address VATS. Do this with 10$ of radio shack parts
>
> If you want to look at a calpak Jameco sells lots of programmers
> cheap. You will have to make a perfboard adapter to read and
> program the calpak.
>
> Well GL: peter

Ah....say what! I now know I am a true EFI\ neophyt. I don't know what
the difference between a j-car and f-body. What is VSS? What would I do
with a taxi transducer? What does it do? Can't you get a EPROM without
VATS? If not, how do you address it with radio shack parts? What is a
calpac? Is it another name for an EPROM?

EFI lingo ignorant,
Mike Jones
rwj5125 at electriciti.com