Mike's TPI question

Steve Ravet steve at imes.com
Fri Jan 10 15:09:06 GMT 1997

At 05:50 PM 1/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Daniel Burk wrote:
>>
>> Mike:  You want a TPI from a '85 or '86 Z28 Camaro, corvette, or trans
>> am.
>>
>> Those are the only cars that came with TPI, and pre-'87 will not
>> require you to modify the intake manifold.
>
>OK
>I have a couple of other questions: Will the new harness basically be
>the same as mine with additional connections for the TPI injectors,
>sensors ect.? What I am getting at is will the new harness contain the
>same connections for power source, ALDL ect.? Will it be a "plug in"
>deal with additional plugs or will I need to do some rewiring? Will I be
>able to use my current coil-in-cap HEI, its the large diameter one? What
>about recalibrating the EPROM, will it be nessecary? Any tips, advise or
>flames will be appreciated.
>--
>Mike Jones
>rwj5125 at electriciti.com

Mike, same as what harness?  Your '84 is carbed, right?  Doesn't really
matter, I don't think any connectors that were originally in different
vehicles will mate properly.  For my S-10 I had to get the factory service
manual for the '86 Blazer (for the body schematics) and the service manual
for the '91 Caprice (engine harness schematics).  Both vehicles have a
bulkhead connector where the engine harness joins to the dash/body harness.
 They didn't mate, but they did have mostly the same wires in them.  I
bought a spare S-10 harness from the junkyard so I would have extra
connectors, wires, etc.

I spent 40 hours or so comparing schematics, and deciding how to splice the
harnesses together.  A lot of it was straightforward, such as fused and
unfused power, but some things were a little tricky.  The A/C required some
thought, as did the fuel pump.  One ECM switched power to the fuel pump,
the other switched ground.  Anyway, sit down with both schematics, and
figure it all out at once.  I typed it all into a spreadsheet and printed
it out.  Then when you make the connections it's all there in front of you.
 Twist the wires at first until everything seems OK, then crimp and tape
them.  Pull the harness apart, you can put it back into the plastic sheath
later.  good luck.

--steve