Conversion to TPI...More ???

Steve Ravet steve at imes.com
Fri Jan 10 15:15:13 GMT 1997

At 06:30 PM 1/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>peter paul fenske wrote:
>Ah....say what! I now know I am a true EFI\ neophyt. I don't know what
>the difference between a j-car and f-body. What is VSS? What would I do
>with a taxi transducer? What does it do? Can't you get a EPROM without
>VATS? If not, how do you address it with radio shack parts? What is a
>calpac? Is it another name for an EPROM?

VSS is vehicle speed sensor.  A device in the tailshaft of the trans that
puts out 2000 or 4000 pulses per mile.  It drives the electronic
speedometer, and is also an input to the ECM for torque converter lockup.
JTR sells a VSS sensor that attaches to your mechanical speedo cable at the
trans, so you get the VSS signal for the ECM and still have the cable for
your mechanical speedo.  A calpack is GM speak for an EPROM.  VATS is easy
to address with a simple circuit, the JTR book explains it.  I think its a
simple 555 oscilator circuit. Alternatively, if you have the original key
you can solder a resistor that matches the key right into the harness.  F
body is Camaro/Firebird, J body is ???