DIY_EFI Digest V2 #15

Garrett Fulton gfulton at salisbury.net
Sun Jan 12 14:32:58 GMT 1997

Fellows, I've been lurking on this list for quite a while as I consider the
information so fascinating and informative.  I've now got a problem on a
car that I can't solve and hope someone here can offer a little advice.
It's a 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 3.4 L 24 valve v-6.  When it starts
cold it goes to 3000 rpm and slowly, (about 10 seconds), drops back to
about 1500.  After staying at 1500 about 10 seconds, it increases to 1750
and the SES light comes on.  I've read the codes with an OTC diag. tester
and it's always the code for the IAC solenoid.  I replaced it, but no help.
Don't believe I have any vacuum leaks on the engine. According to the OEM
serv. manual, the code is set for the IAC sol. when theres a difference of
200 rpm between commanded and actual rpm.  That's exactly when the light
comes on, at the 200 to 250 rpm jump when it's cold.  If anyone has any
ideas I'd sure appreciate hearing them.  You might want to respond to my
e-mail address as I know this is not the proper forum for this type of
problem and I don't want to clog the list with it.
						Thank you
						Garrett Fulton
						gfulton at salisbury.net

----------
> [...]

> involved, or their level of expertise at this.  (Just ask the person who
> said they had 1% of code commented and gave up.  The only real difference

> between Jim/Todd and this person may be that they did not give up!
>
> I like Jim's offer of help to those who would help themselves.  It is
> admirable and shows true class in my opinion.... YMMV.
>
> Scot Sealander   Sealand at clarityconnect.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: adt1 <adt1 at cris.com>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:24:31 -0500
> Subject: Re: Forwarded: Re: Airflow measurement - again...
>
> >Someone else on this list posted a message suggesting use of a strain
> >gauge for flow measurement.  I've been thinking about that some more
from
> >time to time and it seems like a good idea.  His idea was basically
based
> >on mounting a small object in the air flow path via an arm that has a
> >strain gauge.  Increased air flow equates to change in the load cell
> >reading.  To cancel out vehicle dynamics an identical setup outside the
> >flow path is used and the signals are subtracted.  The resulting reading

> >needs to be corrected based on air temp since the drag force is a
> >function of air density, viscosity, velocity ^ 2.  Knowing density (by
> >temp) and viscosity, we can calculate or look-up velocity, and knowing
> >velocity, area, and density, we can determine mass flow rate.
> >
> >Not too many people commented about his message unfortunately, and I
> >can't find the original posting.  What are your thoughts?
>
> This approach to air flow measurement sounds very similar to
> a vane meter.  Both the strain gauged arm and the vane meter
> rely on an aerodynamic drag force to deflect a spring.  The
> deflection is measured (by a strain gauge in the first case
> and a potentiometer in the second) and then converted to mass
> flow rate.
>
> I'm not saying it's good or bad, just pointing out the
> similarity I see.  It makes me wonder how big the sphere
> would have to be to get a good magnitude of deflection.
>
> Anthony Tsakiris
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: adt1 <adt1 at cris.com>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:24:32 -0500
> Subject: Re: GM ALDL Information
>
> >I think I've converted him to the GM way, he is (was) a Ford man.
>
> Doh!
>

> Anthony Tsakiris
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: Roy <spectric at globalnet.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:54:47 +0000
> Subject: Re: Cross Port " Air flow measurement "
>
> Kalle Pihlajasaari wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here is a messsage from another list I'm on.
> >
> > It seem that ultrasonic flow measurement might be a out the box
sollution
> > but I have no idea how these are implemented, perhaps someone in
> > the UK could make a few calls and let the list know what is on offer.

The
> > > deluxe versions also do 3 dimensional direction output! The top end
goes
> > > up to 90m/s as well. However it is somewhat more expensive than the
> > > conventional type, however they are well made and the accuracy specs.
good
> > > as they have no friction etc...
> > >
> > > Contact: Biral Industrial & Research, UK
> > > Ph: +44 1275 847787
> > > Fax: +44 1275 847303
> > > e-mail: info at biral.com
> > > WWW: http://www.biral.com
> > >
> > > Stuart Smith
> >
> > Cheers
> > --
> > Kalle Pihlajasaari   kalle at ip.co.za   http://www.ip.co.za/ip
> > Interface Products   P O Box 15775, DOORNFONTEIN, 2028, South Africa
> > + 27 (11) 402-7750   Fax: 402-7751    http://www.ip.co.za/people/kalle
> >
> > DonTronics, Silicon Studio and Wirz Electronics uP Product Dealer
> >
> > FROM Roy Spectrics Ltd
> >
> > These anerometers are of no use at all unless you have an inlet tract
that can handle a device that is 2ft tall!  They are marine devices fitted
onto boats to measure windspeed and direction.  They would also have
difficulty in coping with the pulsation