Motronic

Orin Eman orin at netcom.com
Mon Jan 13 20:46:50 GMT 1997

> never own a Weber/Marelli injected bike ever again.   Also, I had reached
> what I felt was the point of diminishing returns from the software side of
> things:  without a scope and logic analyzer I was stuck in a mire.  ("So
> what sensor is REALLY located at D8F0?")

> So let me ask....Do the gurus approach the task from a software and hardware
> perspective simultaneously, disassembling the code as well as using test
> equipment to figure out what, when, where, and how?

Along with some others on the Audi quattro list, I have been exploring the
computers used in the Audi turbo engines.  One technique I found to be
really useful in identifying the sensor inputs was to work backwards
from the error codes which are displayed on the check engine light.  Once I
found this table, I went backwards - say from the engine temp error code,
I found the code that caused this error code to be displayed (a bit in
a variable) then found where the error bit was set.  At this point, it
was obvious where the engine temp sensor data was read by the computer.

Orin.