I got my TPI but it's missing a few parts...

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 02:42:19 GMT 1997

> Never mind the previous post on my TPI with missing parts.  I'm
>  returning the unit.  I found that the regulator body (available from
>  only GM) was going to cost me $200.00 and the TPS and IAC a combined
>  $100.00, so I would have had a total of $500.00 in a junkyard TPI.
>  Without a computer or harness no less.

Not to rub it in, for I'm not... so please don't take it this way <G>.

For a vehicle I'm building from scratch, I "aquired" a complete, somewhat
running but tired 3800cc 1991 Buick from the local junkyard, which I had
towed to my home.  I stripped off EVERYTHING that had a wire on it, mostly
because I'm going to re-use the GM harness in my own vehicle, but by taking
the harness and ECM as well as the engine, I'll have a running combination
when I'm done.  From there, hopefully you can modify and build upon a working
platform.

I'm in the Tri-State area (NY,NJ,CT) which from talking with other folks on
the internet, seem to have a much higher percentage of junked but running
newer vehicles.  I paid $600 for the car, and am getting some back when they
tow it outta here, since I did a lot of labor to remove the doors, fenders,
hood, trunk lid, etc, stuff they can resell, now without labor to remove it.
 And I got what I wanted... FWD powertrain, SPI fuel injection, and every
wire imaginable.  Even took the trunk lights <G>.

BTW, if you are going GM as far as powertrain, most of the larger GM vehicles
(I ended up with a Lesabre, or a Regal, I'm still trying to figure that out),
have the ECM mounted behind the glove box on the firewall, and have a HUGE
pile of wires going through the firewall right to the engine.  You can pretty
much take those connectors through the firewall, and pull the engine with
that set of wires, and have a working system (take the computer too).  The
rest of the harness controls the heaters, and a lot of other junk, but those
"other junk" wires go through a seperate hole in the firewall.

Best of luck,

Fred