Tec II O2 sensor

Marc2365 at aol.com Marc2365 at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 20:16:39 GMT 1997

History:  I had a new header/exhaust system put on my 86 VW GTI Tec II
   car.  The O2 sensor wiring was not long enough to reach new installation
   point so it was cut for lengthening.  The header had some manufacturing
   discrepancies so I took the car back to the shop where I purchased the
   header to fix it and finish the installation.

Problem:  When he was finished with the header fix, the kid they had
   working on my car decided to complete the O2 sensor installation for
   me which I appreciated.  *HOWEVER* after he soldered the 3 wires
   back together he failed to remember to individually wrap them.  Thus,
   they were in contact with each other when the car was started and
   the wires started to fry.  This almost started a fire, and probably fried
   the ignition swich also.  (I'm not sure if the O2 sensor will still
function.
   I doubt it.

Question:  Did this damage the Tec unit in any way or anything else I
   have not thought of?

Thanks for you help.
Marc

PS:  This shop is fairly reputable and has worked well with me in the
       past so I purposely did not mention their name.