Valve Train noise

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Mon Jan 20 15:24:20 GMT 1997

I would rather not quote my source;  however, if one looks at the flow
characteristics of the stock TPI one finds that it flows approximately
435 CFM.  Making slight mods as follows causes significant changes to
this.
Cut the screens off the MAF increases the flow to 512 CFM
Install a throttle body air foil increases the flow further to about
530 CFM (Still not in the realm of what one would consider for even a
moderate performance 350).
Opening up the filter cover and putting a K&N filter in gets us into
the 560 CFM range.
Modifying the MAF (Cutting and polishing the heat sink inside) gets us
up to about 585
As you can see, there is room for much improvement without ever
getting out of the air intake.

The MAF, itself flows about 529 CFM stock.  Taking the screens out
gets it up to over 700 CFM.  Modifying the heat sink and cleaning up
the inside gets it up to about 750 CFM.

Note that all this data is corrected to 20.4 inches of water (What
Holley rates their carburetors at).

Since this is a "dry" flow system (no fuel in the air stream), the
equivalent to a carbureted engine is about 650 CFM.  NOW we are in the
realm of a solid 350.  Further improvements may now be realized by
mods to the throttle body, plenum, runners, and base.