Dual Radiators

John Napoli jgn at li.net
Wed Jan 22 04:55:57 GMT 1997

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Dave Zug wrote:

> How about some creative piping and valving to create a series-parrallel
> setup, where the flow in series and the flow in parallel can be biased
> with the valves?  you could "tune" for conditions, or even "control" the
> valves with an MCU. Control it to utilize the benefits of series or
> parallel using rpm, speed, Differential pressure, Load, or ??.

Interesting idea, although it might not be easy to package in a sports
car, and those valves are big and heavy!

In my basement, where the size and weight of plumbing is not an issue, I
had the hot water piping run so that I can switch various components of
the heating system in series or parallel (I have a rather elaborate setup
that includes two different ways to heat water with oil, electric
and solar.  Depending on the time of the year and other factors, I can
vary the configuration and, hence, the oerformance characteristics of the
system.).  In winter, with no electric water and no solar gain, the best
overall performance comes from having the two oil circuits in series (less
overall flow but highest temps and best recovery).

John