mtbe, hc05

David Piper dapiper at one.net
Wed Jan 22 04:59:28 GMT 1997

At 02:09 PM 1/10/97 -0800, you wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, William A. Sarkozy wrote:
>
>> e without pinging.
>> >MTBE as far as I know doesn't have any toxic side affects.  It's the
>> >active ingredient in "104 octane boost".
>> >cheers
>> >jw
>> >
>> I accessed the "104 Octane Boost" web page and they say there is NO MTBE in
>> their products....what's up?
>>

>>    Bill
>>

>Interesting.  It used to.  I ran a mass spec on it back in undergrad and
>identified MTBE as the major ingredient (~80%).   I'll hit the Merck
>index and check out this toxicity stuff.  Maybe they stopped using it for
>a reason?  Also a variant of MTBE (which I can't remember right now) is
>probably what they have uesed instead.
>cheers
>jw

104+ contains MMT, which, being an organic heavy metal (methyl manganese
pentadienyl tricarbonyl) is quite toxic.  Mr. Pease uses a simple mineral
spirit carrier solvent with no detergents.  The manganese will build up
deposits on your plugs and combustion chamber.  Do not get this stuff on
your skin or in your tank.

TurboDave
Less Maintenance, More Performance.