Leaded gas

Jeremy Edmondson einstein at inetdirect.net
Mon Jan 27 00:08:27 GMT 1997

Wade T. Braden wrote:

> At 12:12 AM 1/26/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >

> >On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Bill Moffitt wrote:
> >
> >> A question not necessarliy unrelated to EFI:
> >>
> >> Would todays automobiles be harmed by using leaded gasoline?
> >> I know that lead would ruin the O2 sensor, but other than
> >> that, what is the ramifications on parts like valves, seals,
> >> etc...
> >>
> >> Do racing type cars that use gasoline use leaded?
> >>
> >I think the big problem with lead is that it destroys the catalytic
> >converter.  I don't understand the chemistry though.  As for the race
> >cars, the fuel I've seen at the drag strips is all leaded.
> > cheers
> >jw
> >

>         It does not destroy the catalytic converter it plugs it up.  And as
> for the racing fuel I believe that is how you get a very high octane.

The lead deposits on the surfaces of the cat and it no longer
functions.  TEL is great stuff as far as your engine is concerned, it
permits low grade gas to become a high octane fuel and lubricates valves
and rings.  Typically racing fuels contain vast amounts of TEL and so
does aviation fuel.  Unfortunatly lead has a bad reputation as far as
health risks, unleaded gas with aromatics may well be a greater health
risk.  The difference is that there is more documented evidence of the
effects of lead.  There is a product available that adds a Sb-Sn
catalyst to the fuel which replaces the reduction of flame speed
function of TEL in far lower concentrations.  The catalyst falls out of
suspension quickly so must be added moments before use, ie in fuel line.

Jeremy