Factory vs aftermarket (part1)

Tomchou at aol.com Tomchou at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 23:32:40 GMT 1997

>  << Look at the aftermarket companies that are tightly connected to the Big
3,
>   such as McLaren, Roush, Shelby to name a few.  If you talk to their
people,
>   and look at what they do, you'll see they use very few of the usual
popular
>   aftermarket products out there.  Most of their creations use very factory
>   parts or custom ones they design for that specific application with
>   complementary changes in software/calibration or other components to
>   compensate any side effect.  No "black magic" gimmicks such as air foils
> are used.  Look at the totally factory backed high tech race teams in
endurance
>   racing, off road series, Indy Car/CART, Indy Lights - you don't see the
> same stuff being used as the popular auto mags such as Hot Rod, Car Craft
and
> such advertise/evaluate. >>
>
>  What do thry use to control and program ignition and fuel.  And can mere
> mortals like me get access to them and perhaps buy them?

In the case of IndyCar, the Aurora engines are using GM/Delco Motorsports
controllers.  Unfortunately, these are only available as a package with the
powertrains, and not sold separately.  The very limited volume coupled with
the high expense of product support doesn't justify that sort of business for
any large corporate environment.  Remember not every customer would be as
knowledgeable as folks on this list - you'll have lots of yahoos that are
computer illiterate and understand minimal electronics.  Price would be
around $10K for the GenIV controllers, while the GenV like Team Penske uses
is something around $40K.  The GenV is complex enough to require a full time
GM/Delco engineer to be present everytime the engine is fired.

Depending on your application, unless you were in this league you don't
require a Motorsports controller, as you're not trying to control up to 24
injectors independently and running 12,000 RPM - at that speed the throughput
requires a really fast processor.  Also, the Motorsports controllers are
almost overkill on durability and robustness - since you're not running a
$100K car with a millon dollar purse for winning (I assume) a standard
controller tested to production vehicle requirements is probably sufficient.