ABS

David Kraft dkraft at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 29 16:25:23 GMT 1997

------------F59655222120

My  Grand Cherokee has toothed wheels, with a proximity sensor(like the
vw, and every other ABS I have seen.)
It is interesting that I have had it axle deep in soft silt clay, and
the ABS wouldn't malfunction. It is a pretty neat experience having some
smidgen of control on super slick mud...
The shop manual says that the ABS stops functioning below 3 mph, which
I can verify from a hard brake on dry pavement from 30 mph.
Because the beast is so heavy, the wheels will lock up when the ABS
stops compensating in the last 2 feet or so, and you get a nice chirp
from two or three of the wheels.

I can't think of a reason to hack it, except to turn it into positive
traction control.

Regards,
D.

Jens Stobernack wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Mike Turner wrote:
>

> > I was one of the people affected by the server glitch and never
received any
> > replies (maybe there were none.....), so I'm going to ask again....
Bosch ABS
> > use for rotation? Hall effect? Proximity? Something else? Does
anyone know
> > what the minimum speed for ABS to be engaged is? Has anyone hacked
> > one of these?<<<
> >

>         I can only speak from VW experience. There is a toothed wheel
> on the brake hub of each wheel. It spins with the wheel. An inductive
> pickup sensor seats mm from the wheel, connected to a static part of
> the car. I think the ABS is always on. Even at slow speeds on ice you
> can engage it.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jens

------------F59655222120

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>My&nbsp; Grand Cherokee has toothed wheels, with a proximity sensor(like
the vw, and every other ABS I have seen.)</DT>

<DT>It is interesting that I&nbsp;have had it axle deep in soft silt clay,
and the ABS wouldn't malfunction. It is a pretty neat experience having
some smidgen of control on super slick mud...</DT>

<DT>The shop manual says that the ABS stops functioning below 3 mph, which
I&nbsp;can verify from a hard brake on dry pavement from 30 mph.</DT>

<DT>Because the beast is so heavy, the wheels will lock up when the ABS
stops compensating in the last 2 feet or so, and you get a nice chirp from
two or three of the wheels.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I can't think of a reason to hack it, except to turn it into positive
traction control.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Regards,&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>D.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Jens Stobernack wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Mike Turner wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt; I was one of the people affected by the server glitch and never
received any<BR>
&gt; &gt; replies (maybe there were none.....), so I'm going to ask again....<BR>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;I know this is an EFI group but ...... What type
of sensor does Bosch ABS<BR>
&gt; &gt; use for rotation? Hall effect? Proximity? Something else? Does
anyone know<BR>
&gt; &gt; what the minimum speed for ABS to be engaged is? Has anyone hacked<BR>
&gt; &gt; one of these?&lt;&lt;&lt;<BR>
&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I can only speak from
VW experience. There is a toothed wheel<BR>
&gt; on the brake hub of each wheel. It spins with the wheel. An inductive<BR>
&gt; pickup sensor seats mm from the wheel, connected to a static part
of<BR>
&gt; the car. I think the ABS is always on. Even at slow speeds on ice
you<BR>
&gt; can engage it.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Hope this helps,<BR>