ABS

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Wed Jan 29 16:33:23 GMT 1997

----------
From:  Jens Stobernack[SMTP:jstobern at acs.ucalgary.ca]
Sent:  Wednesday, January 29, 1997 10:00 AM
To:  diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject:  Re: ABS

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Mike Turner wrote:

> I was one of the people affected by the server glitch and never
received any
> replies (maybe there were none.....), so I'm going to ask again....
Bosch ABS
> use for rotation? Hall effect? Proximity? Something else? Does
anyone know
> what the minimum speed for ABS to be engaged is? Has anyone hacked
> one of these?<<<

	I can only speak from VW experience. There is a toothed wheel
on the brake hub of each wheel. It spins with the wheel. An inductive
pickup sensor seats mm from the wheel, connected to a static part of
the car. I think the ABS is always on. Even at slow speeds on ice you
can engage it.

Hope this helps,
Jens

Unfortunately, on very slick surfaces such as icd, all four wheels
lock up at once.  Generally the ABS systems work on a speed
differential algorithm.  If a wheel is going appreciably slower than
another (the others), then that wheel is considered locked and the
brake system is modulated.  If all four are locked at the same time
(at least at very slow vehicle speeds), the system sees the vehicle as
stopped and is not activated.  This is why ABS is generally found to
be ineffective on ice.