BMW e12 530i FI dle and running progress

gofast at ix.netcom.com gofast at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 30 15:23:52 GMT 1997

Hi everyone - just want to thank everyone again for all the help I've gotten
in debugging my L-jet fuel injection over the past 2 months. To recap, it
'chokes' at high rpms. I had kind of concluded that I needed more fuel +
more timing advance.

I getting to the bottom of this, slowly. It appears that my cars had/has
multiple problems that have compounded each other. Last night, in one fell
swoop, I resolved a number of them:

1) A few months ago, I had picked up a bad tank of gas. I had changed the
fuel filter at the time. Well, last week, I let the fuel level get low, and
did it choke! Changed fuel filter - ran better, but still 'choked'. Tried to
siphon out tank to clean out bottom dirt, with not much luck - will try this
again later.

2) I was in the UK last week. Picked up a euro 630i distributer - much
better advance curve than stock. Put it on last night, and reinstalled
Allison optical electronic trigger. Result: better acceleration, better idle
(can bring it down to 1000 rpm), no more choking, but still has a slight
hesitation around 4k rpm during *hard* acceleration, after which it picks up
again.

Todd - no more need to go the MSD route with electronic advance, I think.

3) Checked the AFM flapper - felt like it might stick. Put on another AFM I
have, a 'new' Python rebuilt unit. Result - low power, but no sticking.

3a) Loosened spring on Python AFM by 3 notches. Result: some more power,
better sounding engine.

4) This morning, I drove the car cold. It runs *much* better when cold than
when hot - much more power. Once warmed, it does not have as much high rpm
torque. I think this is cause it runs richer when cold - I still think more
high rpm fuel, while not needed, will make me enjoy the car more.

Next step: I am planning to build a DIY o2 sensor led meter, and put an o2
sensor in the manifold. The 530i has this useless 'seat belt/service'
warning light thing sticking out in the center of the dash, that would be
well utilised by sticking a row of leds in there!

Once this is done, I will try and get more fuel at higher rpms.
Possibilities are:
a) mechanical: fuel pressure regulator
b) electronic: change resistor's in the computer to give more fuel at higher
rpms. (Does anyone have circuit diagrams for L-jet ECUs?)
c) electronic: change to euro 635 computer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Samir Shah
gofast at ix.netcom.com
Stamford, CT