DIY_EFI Digest V2 #29

gfulton gfulton at salisbury.net
Thu Jan 30 22:27:29 GMT 1997

In reference to the message from Mr. Shapiro concerning dropping fuel flow
to one or more cylinders to increase economy.  Cadillac did this back in
the '70's on their large displacement engines with carburetors by using
solenoid arrangement on the valve train to keep the valves shut on 4 of 8
cylinders under light load.  A Popular Mechanics article explained the
concept as increasing the efficiency at light loads above about 60 mph
since with the valves closed, almost all energy used to compress air in a
cylinder would be returned as the piston was forced back down by the high
pressure.  All this is from memory, mind you.  I believe they did it for
only one or two years as they had a lot of trouble with the valve/solenoid
arrangement.
I don't believe the arrangement of cutting fuel to the cylinders would
increase fuel economy, as the valves would still work and energy would be
used pumping air.  I would welcome any other opinions.
					Garrett Fulton
					gfulton at salisbury.net

----------
> From: DIY_EFI-Digest-Owner at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> To: DIY_EFI-Digest at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: DIY_EFI Digest V2 #29
> Date: Saturday, January 25, 1997 5:00 AM
>

> DIY_EFI Digest           Saturday, 25 January 1997     Volume 02 : Number
029

> In this issue:
>
> 	GM buying from Electromotive??
> 	Re: natural gas
> 	Re: GM buying from Electromotive??
> 	Re: Test of Life
> 	Traffic
> 	Large displacement engines & fuel economy
> 	Ford Ranger
> 	Ford Ranger (repost)
> 	Re: Large displacement engines & fuel economy
> 	Re: Large displacement engines & fuel economy
> 	Test
> 	Factory vs aftermarket (Part2)
> 	Factory vs aftermarket (part1)
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the
> DIY_EFI or DIY_EFI-Digest mailing lists.

> From: john spears <speartec at iquest.net>
> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 07:10:29 -0500
> Subject: GM buying from Electromotive??
>
> In digest 28 David Doddek speaks of the merits of Electromotive. And
while
> I'm glad your system is working well, your statements about GM buying
direct
> fire systems from Electromotive are completely false. All Grand National
> direct fire systems from 1984 - 1987 are manufactured by Magnavox, and
> consist of a "coil pack" of three coils molded together. GM DIS systems
came
> online, slowly,  in 1986 on 3.8L SFI engines, other than the Grand
National.

writes:

> << This may stray a bit, but does anyone have any experience converting a
> small
>  engine to run on natural gas?  We want to take a gasoline powered AC
>  generator and convert it.  Any info on suppliers of parts would be
> appreciated.
>   >>

> I am interested n doing the same thing (but after my current project).
You
> may want to make a call the Amercian Gas Association in Arlington,
Virginia
> and ask for a technical person.  There also is a technical person at the
> Coalition for Natural Gas Vehicles that may be aable to help as well.
There

*
> [...]

> displacement (3L), engine with a low boost (<8lbs/in2) intercooled
> turbocharger and an overdrive tranny. The higher compression ratio would
> give you good economy under (no to low) boost. Medium displacement would
> keep rotating mass at a minimum but not cause a power lag on the bottom
end.
> The low boost intercooled turbo would provide the high torque. The tranny
> would be geared low for the first and second gears for performance.  The
> overdrive would provide steady state economy.
>
> Boost and high comp go together like Cryps and Bloods. This will require
low
> intercooled boost and water injection to controol detonation.
>
> My home built car will have a power trane that meets all of these specs.
> This is very doable and proven to work.
>
> GMD
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: Jennifer Rose <javer96 at snowcrest.net>
> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 21:47:35 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Test
>
> Hi All
>
>         Test post- Haven't got any post last three days. Any still out
there?

> Vance
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: Tomchou at aol.com
> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 03:52:12 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Factory vs aftermarket (Part2)
>
> >someone building a street engine.  There are numerous tradeoffs
> >between maximum horsepower, maximum torque, and drivability.  One
> >thing we must understand in all this is that GM is forced to build an
> >engine that meet CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy), emission
> >controls, smooth idle, low to mid-range torque, and easy cruising at
> >(in '86) 55 mph.  If the end users concerns lean toward one or more of
> >these criteria, there are aftermarket products that will satisfy their
>
> This is somewhat true.  There are some aftermarket items that do work
well
> when they target some compromise in the factory design; we are forced to
make
> many compromises for the reasons you state.  Most effective changes are
the
> simple and logical ones, such as less restrictive exhausts (drive by
noise
> level requirements force certain compromises) and less restrictive intake
> systems (again, noise levels are a concern.), or issues such as shift
points
> and torque management to make transmissions and such survive the 100K
mile
> durability cycle as warrenty costs are a major concern.
>
> However, the problem is that most aftermarket don't understand all the
> ramifications of changes they make.  For instance, MAFs are particularly
> sensitive to turbulance, and the change to an open air element or ram air
> (besides the hazards of water intrusion) could alter it's calibration.
Even
> [...]
> >but were not placed on the original engine purely due to
> >economics...Headers, dual exhaust (with dual catalytic converters),
> >high flow air filters, high flow Mass Air Flow sensors, roller
> >lifters, and throttle body air foils are notable among these.  Even
> >the calpak can be remapped for improved performances if done so to
> >accomodate a particular engine and driving conditions.  These engines
> >(from the factory) are made for mass production.  Plainly and simply,
> >they are designed so that the lowest common denominator is met.
>
> Again, this is partially true, but not completely.  This is what every
> aftermarket vendor would love for everyone to believe, but don't buy into
it
> hook, line and sinker!  I'm not flaming the originator of this post at
all,
> so please don't take it personally!  I'm just expressing my opinion, and
this
> post happened to be the one that opened the issues!
>
> I know very well there are many compromises the OEM makes, but I've yet
> see an aftermarket company discover and optimize most *true* design
> compromises despite their hype to this effect!  The beauty of this
particular
> list is that everyone is more or less from a technical background, and
are
> able to talk intelligently about these things.  Many lists such as the
> general F body list (just picking on it - I stopped subscribing after too
> many "my car is faster than yours") do buy into the aftermarket's
advertising
> wholeheartedly, but the folks on this list have the knowledge to really
> evaluate the validity of vendor's claims.
>
> Tom Chou - Tomchou at aol.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: Tomchou at aol.com
> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 03:52:06 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Factory vs aftermarket (part1)
>
> Subj:	Factory vs aftermarket: was Valve train noise
> Date:	01/21/97
> To:	diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
>
> Obviously my post was too long as it got kicked out the first time I sent
it.
>  Since list traffic is slow, I'll split it in 2 parts and get my .02 in!
>
> >>From:  George M. Dailey[SMTP:gmd at tecinfo.com]
> >>Don't feel bad. After market parts can confuse even the most seasoned
hot
> >>rodder. Some of the venders are liscened and bonded LIERS. Oh, it's not
> >>total loss though, I've heard that the Electromotive ECMs make
excellent
> and
> >>attractive door stops or paper weights:}
>
> >From: John Hess <JohnH at ixc-comm.net>
> >This is what I mean by an instant expert.  First of all, the very fact
>
> Hey - I haven't been on this particular list very long, but I don't
believe
> George Dailey fits the term "instant expert" here!  Actually, and I know
I'm