ABS (no efi content)

Mike Fahrion mfahrion at bb-elec.com
Fri Jan 31 14:19:58 GMT 1997

> Under zero traction conditions like sheer ice, ain't nothin gonna stop you,
> ABS or no.  The miniscule coefficient of friction between rubber and
> polished ice is all you got (and mebbe some air drag), no matter if the
> brakes are locked, pumped, ABS'ed or off.  No way ABS will *decrease*
> stopping distance under these conditions, but it probably won't *increase*
> them appreciably either.  The only advantage of ABS in this situation is
> that you retain some semblance of directional control, which you *do not*
> have with locked wheels. The whole point of ABS is not to make you stop
> faster (it doesn't) but to retain steering control (it does).

I can't help but chime in here - sorry for drawing out the non-efi
discussion.

ABS primarily helps an incompetent (maybe undertrained is a better
word) driver out of a situation that they will likely never be in.
As a self proclamed "educated" consumer - I despise the fact the I
likely won't be able to purchase my next vehicle without ABS.  True
there are probably (maybe?) some scenarios where ABS may help even a
trained driver, but they certainly don't justify the added cost.  Now
add traction control, and maybe now we have some actual added value
for our dollar, but ABS, IMHO is mostly a marketing tool.  And don't
even get me started on airbags!  Food for thought - has anyone ever
seen/heard of a racecar with airbags?  If they truly added safety
over a good restraint system they would certainly show up there!
Please if anyone wants to discuss/enlighten me on that issue, mail me
directly, off the efi list.

-mike
mfahrion at bb-elec.com