Bosch Motronic problem

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Fri Jan 31 19:00:38 GMT 1997

Don Irwin wrote:

> ----------------
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Todd Knighton wrote:
>
> > Don Irwin wrote:
>
> > > run for more than a couple of seconds.  Starts well but quickly dies - as it does
> > > so I hear the Air Flow Meter (AFM) flap dropping back and the fuel pump cutting
> > > out.
>
> >       Sounds to me like a pretty good sized vacuum leak.
>

> Todd - I can confirm there is no vac leak - thanks anyway for your input.

	Well Don, can you keep the car running by jacking the air flow meter
door open a little bit to get the mixture back up?
	Is your fuel pressure at the rails correct?
	It sounds to me like it's a lean condition that's making the car
stall.  Even if the temp sensor is a dead short, it'll default to hot
running condition and should work fine once the engine is warm.  It
sounds the other way to me.
	The other things that affect the air fuel ratio are the air flow meter,
fuel pressure, and injector problems.  You can typically disconnect the
inlet air temp sensor and it won't affect you enough to get the type of
problems your referring to.
	We have, on the other hand, seen a bad ignition system affect the air
fuel ratio on some of the later C2/C4's.  They're particularly finicky.
Make sure that's in good order as well.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering