Buick GNs

Michael J Weber mweber at interaccess.com
Wed Jul 2 18:12:21 GMT 1997

>   Hey,
>Thanks alot for the info!  After doing a little research, it seems like
>this is definitely THE system. Distrubutorless ignition and everything!
>And finding a regular old 86-87 Buick 3.8 V6 in the junkyard should be
>easy and cheap.  It seems that this system would probably work on my car
>with my old injectors (plus resister pack) and everything.  And there
>definitely are enough high performance parts out there to expand the
>system way beyond what I'll ever need.
>The only tricky parts are the cam AND crank sensors (no such things on
>my engine, of course.)  I have an old distributor that I can modify.
>But based on what I have read at the various sights I've visited,  I am
>kind of confused.  What type of signals do  these sensors put out?  The
>consensus seems to be that they are hall effect sensors, but the
>camshaft sensor is a solid disk with a slot cut in it that the sensor
>reads.  What sort of "hall effect" sensor is this?  It sounds more like
>some sort of optical pickup (you will have to excuse me, but my
>knowledge of electronic theory is limited to a physics class that was
>more oriented towards civil engineering.  And that was a long time
>ago!)  I am trying to figure out how I am going to duplicate these
>signals.  Are all "magnetic pickups" the same as "hall effect", or are
>"hall effect" sensors just one type of magnetic pickup or vice versa?
>Sorry for the stupid questions,
>Tom
The cam sensor is a hall effect which stays high (above 7.5 Volts) until 25
degrees ATDC of the #1 cylinder.  This is used to time the firing of the
injectors only it doesn't have anything to do with spark timing.  The crank
sensor uses a ring with three tabs.  Each tab is used to fire two spark
plugs, since it is a waste spark system with three coils for six plugs.  I
don't know how big the tabs are on the crank damper but you can probably
get one that would work from a junkyard.

Michael J Weber
mweber at interaccess.com