Buick GNs

Thomas Wright tgw3448 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:43:03 GMT 1997

Corey L. Cole wrote:

> Thomas Wright wrote:
> > Are you saying that the GN system is the same as other buick 6cyl FI
>
> > systems of the same time period with just a different EPROM?I don't
> know
> > much about different GM systems and the years and models during
> which
> > things changed. I just know a little about TPI systems since there
> is so
> > much on the web and in catalogs for those things.  I have also seen
> > numerous sites on Buick turbos, but figured it was a special system
> for
> > GN.
> > Is the MAF different between GNs and non turbo buicks?  Do non turbo
>
> > buicks have the distributorless ignitions?
> > I am interested in something REALLY common, so that I can get it
> from
> > the local junkyard CHEAP!
> > Any information or source of information on different GM systems
> > including models and the years of changes on common cars would be
> > extremely helpful.
> > Thanks
> > Tom
>
> Yes, it's true.  The ECM (or PCM :) is the same between turbo and
> non-turbo
> cars.  The non-turbo cars also had the distributorless ignition like
> the
> GN.  I'm not sure about the MAF as to whether or not it's the same
> part
> on turbo vs. non-turbo.
>
> Your best bet is to zoom over to the Buick Grand National web page:
> http://www.gnttype.org/gnttype/www/
>
> I believe there's some parts interchange information there, and you
> can search
> the archives as well.  It's something that's been pretty well hashed
> over
> several times.
>
> Good luck,
> --
> ==
>
> Corey L. Cole                     | I was standing on the side of the
> road,
>  M/S 19-HH                        |   rain falling on my shoe.
>  E-mail: corey.l.cole at boeing.com  | I was heading for the east coast,
>  Phone: 206-662-3596              |   Lord knows I've paid some dues.
>                                   | Tangled up in blue.
> ======================

   Hey,
Thanks alot for the info!  After doing a little research, it seems like
this is definitely THE system. Distrubutorless ignition and everything!
And finding a regular old 86-87 Buick 3.8 V6 in the junkyard should be
easy and cheap.  It seems that this system would probably work on my car
with my old injectors (plus resister pack) and everything.  And there
definitely are enough high performance parts out there to expand the
system way beyond what I'll ever need.
The only tricky parts are the cam AND crank sensors (no such things on
my engine, of course.)  I have an old distributor that I can modify.
But based on what I have read at the various sights I've visited,  I am
kind of confused.  What type of signals do  these sensors put out?  The
consensus seems to be that they are hall effect sensors, but the
camshaft sensor is a solid disk with a slot cut in it that the sensor
reads.  What sort of "hall effect" sensor is this?  It sounds more like
some sort of optical pickup (you will have to excuse me, but my
knowledge of electronic theory is limited to a physics class that was
more oriented towards civil engineering.  And that was a long time
ago!)  I am trying to figure out how I am going to duplicate these
signals.  Are all "magnetic pickups" the same as "hall effect", or are
"hall effect" sensors just one type of magnetic pickup or vice versa?
Sorry for the stupid questions,
Tom