GM ECMs and harnesses

Charles Morgan cmorgan at efn.org
Thu Jul 3 19:02:47 GMT 1997

At 01:42 PM 7/3/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Does any body know what the part number is for the ECM on a 1992 to
>@1995 Chevy V6 4300?  Will it physically plug into a V8 TPI harness?
>I was thinking about the possibility of using a GM CPI system (chevy V6
>4300 version of TPI) on my 6cyl car.  I noticed that there are many
>aftermarket V8 TPI harness for sale for not very much money, that are
>designed for custom (hot rod, off road, etc.)  installations
>(unnecessary crap eliminated) for relatively cheap.  It might be worth
>the money for a good, new harness,  without the hassle of untangling a
>fatigued, baked harness from a wreck.  But all the aftermarket harnesses
>are for V8 TPIs.  I would need to modify it to work with a V6 system and
>computer.
>Does anybody know if this is possible (I mean easy - anything is
>possible)?

Tom, Fuel Injection Specialties will make a 4.3L CPI wiring harness for you.
The 4.3L CPI engine is not true TPI--it uses only a single injector
('92-'95), with pressure operated poppet valves at each cylinder.  You
didn't say what kind of 6cyl engine you have now, but I'm not sure the CPI
manifold would fit anything other than a 4.3L engine.  Even then I'm not
sure it would fit a carbureted or TBI 4.3L--the CPI block is somewhat
different to accomodate a balance shaft.

Charlie Morgan