GM TBI V6>V8 Engine Swap

John C Zarli jzarli at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 6 03:07:49 GMT 1997

I'm embarking on an engine swap for a V6 Astrovan that currently uses a
1227727 ECM.  I have confirmed that this same ECM is the same as used on
90-91 TBI V8's.
Will I need to replace both the CalPak AND the PROM?

What is stored on the Cal-PAk what is in the PROM?

What happens if I don't change either?
Can I at least start the V8 engine with the V6 chips?

I'm staying close to a stock TBI except that
I will be using a mild Hyd Roller Cam (210/214dur).
 Will I need a "custom" chip, or would a "stock" chip be able to learn
that much of a change?

I also have the large 2" TBI unit from a Big Block TBI available to play
with....might this be a useful addition?

Is any of the info or SW for programming these systems "public domain"
or at least real cheap?

Failing that, a recommendation (or a volunteer) to furnish whatever it
is that I will need would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions, but I figure if anyone out there can answer
one, they can probably answer the rest (vbg)