INFORMATION FOR MICROSOFT EXCHANGE USERS

Sam Brooks sbrooks at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 20:24:24 GMT 1997

James Boughton <boughton at bignet.net> said;

>I don't get the attachment when I receive my posts!  I am lost!
>If you have any ideas on how to remedy this please help me.
>I use Microsoft Exchange for my mail reader.  I have had some problems
>with Internet Explorer, but none with Exchange.
>I don't even know where to look for this problem.

Hi,

The following information may prove to be of value to you.

Sam Brooks
KitCar Listowner
sbrooks at earthlink.net

INFORMATION FOR MICROSOFT EXCHANGE USERS:

If you use Microsoft Exchange to read and send mail, please take
the time to read this text carefully. If you do not follow the
instructions, you will have difficulty posting to some forums on
the Internet.

THE EXCHANGE PROBLEM:
=====================

When Microsoft Exchange is used to send mail to Internet addresses,
it sometimes includes extra material at the end of your message.
Other Exchange users will not see this material - it will be decoded
and used to tell their copy of Exchange which fonts and colours you
used -but people using other mail programs will just see lots of garbage
tacked on the end of your message, or they will be told that there is
a file attached to the message. The majority of people on the Internet
do not use Exchange, and these attachments aren't any use to them.
As far as I have been able to tell through experimentation, it is not
possible to change a single configuration option to prevent unwanted
attachments with Exchange. You must change the appropriate option for
each Internet address that you send mail.

SENDING ATTACHMENTS WITH YOUR MAIL:
==================================

It is not possible to turn attachments on and off for a particular
message. Whether or not attachments are added to your message seems
to depend on whether you are using sending to an entry in the address
book, or to an address that you just typed in.

When an address is not in the address book, you can use colour,
fonts and different styles in a message, but MS Exchange will usually
discard it all before sending the message, without telling you that
it is doing so.  Sometimes, however, attachments will be added;
according to the help file, this happens when you use a 'one shot'
address - one that's just typed in to the To: box.

If an address is in the book, you can tell Exchange whether or not you
want the information about colour, fonts and so on included when you
send mail to that address. The only reliable way to control whether or
not attachments are sent is to send mail using the address book entry
every time, and to configure the entry so that attachments will not be
sent.

To configure this, pull down the Tools menu in Exchange and select
Address Book.  Find the entry that you want to change and double
click on it. Now, if it's not on top automatically, click on the tab
marked "SMTP - Internet".  You will see two boxes, labelled
"Display Name" and "E-mail address." Check that these are correct,
and then look at the check box below, which is labelled
"Always send messages in Microsoft Exchange rich text format."
Unless you know that the people you are writing to also use MS Exchange,
you should make sure that there is NO TICK IN THIS BOX. When this box is
ticked, Exchange adds attachments to your message, giving
details about fonts and colours in a non-standard Microsoft format.
If in doubt about the mail program that someone else is using, or if you
are posting to a public forum such as a mailing list or a newsgroup,
you should ensure that this option is turned off.  Sending unnecessary
attachments is anti-social and wasteful. How wasteful? A message 38 letter
long, with one word in colour and one in a different font, acquires an
attachment of 1514 letters to describe it to Exchange users!

WINMAIL.DAT and application/ms-tnef
===================================

These are the two things that appear in mail that you send to other
people from Exchange; WINMAIL.DAT is a UUencoded file, and
application/ms-tnef is a MIME type. Both have the same effect on
people not using Exchange - they see garbage at the end of your messages,
and often have to pay to download it.  Options for attachments are set
in Exchange via the Tools menu; select Services, then choose Internet Mail
and select Properties.  The button near the bottom of the Window labelled
Message Format allows you to choose whether MIME format messages are sent
from MS Exchange.  In general, it is probably better to use MIME than not;
if you don't select MIME, Exchange will use UUencoding, which is an older
and less sophisticated way of handling attachments.

Exchange and the uk-motss mailing lists
=======================================

Both the uk-motss and uk-motss-women lists are currently set up to reject
any messages that contain file attachments, including information from
Microsoft Exchange, whether in MIME or UUencoded formats.

If your post is returned to you by the list system, with an error that
includes either: 'UUencoded file attachments are not allowed on this list'
or'The MIME content type application/ms-tnef is not allowed on this list'
then Microsoft exchange is adding extra information to the bottom of
your messages, and you should follow the instructions above to prevent
this happening in future.  The best solution is to create an entry in
your address book for each list that you are a member of, and set it up
as described above. Make sure that you always use the address book entry
when you send mail to the list.

Nigel Whitfield,
List Maintainer.
================

ADDENDUM FROM KITCAR LIST:

The KitCar List is also set up to reject any messages/posts that contain
file attachments of the type mentioned in this file.  Your posts never
make it to the KitCar List for general distribution, but are "bounced"
over to me for disposition.

HTH

Sam Brooks
KitCar List Admin