turbo EGT rise, and wideband O2

Todd King Todd_King at ccm2.jf.intel.com
Thu Jul 10 16:39:52 GMT 1997

     <<<
     Corky Bell's new book published by Robert Bently called "Maximum
     Boost"
     is all about turbos and their theory, installation and tuning. It is
     excellent. From there you will learn that normal turbine back pressure
     is 2-3 times manifold pressure but the lower the better to a certain
     point as pressure is necessary to extract the energy as you suggested.

     So it's out finally- I asked Corky (of Bell Engineering in San
     Antonio- I'm from there too; formerly Cartech in Dallas, which was
     formerly associated with Haltech, which is now in Australia or similar
     I believe... get me- quite the name-dropper!:-) a few months back but
     it was not yet out. I'll check it out! I've seen some interesting data
     from the Engine Analyzer SW on backpressure with turbo; I think the
     exh man press is typically a bit higher than the pressure on the
     intake side, or thereabouts.

     <<<
     I found in my own turbo car that had a pretty restrictive cat and
     exhaust,
     that I had very high temps (1650 deg F) until I lowered the pressure
     after the turbo.    >>>

     I have a 3" mandrel bent downpipe from the turbo, which is run open at
     the track; no backpressure problem here! :-)

     <<<
     > >Also Frank, any way you could put a copy of that graph on the DIY
     web site
     > >so all of us could get a look at it.

     Yes, I will do this as soon as I can buy a good 24 bit or better color
     scanner that will work with my Gateway 166 MMX portable.   >>>

     I'll scan it here at work if you'll send me a copy of it; or you can
     just truck on over to your nearest Kinko's for the same result...
        BTW I hit up the company employee resource center recently for
     everything they had from the SAE- turned up lots of very intereasting
     stuff, all currently stacked on my desk (you want it when???
     Haw-haw-haw...) Wouldn't you know it- several papers on wideband O2,
     like #890299: "Wide-Range A/F Sensor", or even better, #880559: "A
     Portable Fast Response A/F Ratio Meter Using an Extended Range Oxygen
     Sensor" by Nissan engineers. And you were wondering how all these
     automotive "garages" were suddenly coming up with these engineering
     "design feats" to bring out their new wonder A/F meters? :-) These
     papers are dated from the late 80's... Oh, and I can't resist one
     that'll make the list collectively cringe- #910259: "A PC Engine
     Control Development System"... remember that thread <*shiver*>?

     Todd       tking at scic.intel.com