Ford eec on a Jag 6 cyl

Thomas Wright tgw3448 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Fri Jul 11 21:48:58 GMT 1997

Hi,

I've been trying to find an adaptable oem fuel injection system to
replace the Bosch L-Jet on my Jaguar 6cyl engine.  The L-jet is woefully

inadequate after 4000 rpm, especially on my modified engine which
produces significantly more power above 4000 rpm than stock.
After considering many systems, I have decided that the best and most
easily
adaptable one would be an EEC-iv with MAF, non-sequential, off of a V6
Mustang, T-bird or Ranger\Explorer.
The only problem would be duplicating the signal from the Hall-effect
sensor from the distributor.  I already know that it is a square wave
with about 50% duty cycle.
The questions I have are :
What is the amplitude(V)?
What does the computer actually look for?  Does it have to be a 50%duty
cycle, or does the computer just need to see the correct number of
pulses?
The reason I ask is that the distributor on my stock Jaguar distributor
already uses a Ford Dura Spark magnetic pickup!  I really don't want to
use the EEC to control spark-timeing, just fueling.  Therefore, I would
like to keep the stock ignition system intact and simply send the
appropriate signal to the computer.  (maybe I'll do ign timing in the
future, but for now, just one thing at a time.)
 I have an old aftermarket optical pick up that I can mount in my
distributor in addition to the DuraSpark.  It has a square wave output,
but
duty cycle is more like 10% (if that).
Even better, the stock Jag ignition system uses uses a GM four pin
ignition module in addition to the Ford DS!  (in case you haven't
figured it out, Lucas doesn't seem to actually make its own parts, just
takes parts from Ford, GM, and Bosch and throws them together.)  Anyway,

It would be extremely easy (and cheap) to replace the four pin module
with a seven
pin module that has an output for the GM computer.
For this reason, I considered the GM V6 MAF system, but concluded it
wouldn't be worth the effort.  Its not very adaptable.  There are
numerous After market MAF sensors for use with larger injectors with the
Ford system, unlike the GM system.  And the sequential Buick/ Olds
system would require extensive fabrication in the form of  two different
crank sensors to make work. (although it is an other wise excellent
system.)
Does anybody know if  the Ford EEC would understand the signal from the
GM module?  I have no idea what the signal looks like, just that it is
good enough for the GM ecu.
Does anybody know what the output signal from the GM seven pin ignition
module looks like?
To sum it up, I need to find some way to produce a signal that the EEC
will understand.

Thanks for any help,
Tom Wright