Ignition Controllers

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Fri Jul 25 03:47:52 GMT 1997

At 09:27 AM 7/25/97 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am contemplating constructing a digital igniton system (similar to the
>one designed by Tim Drury). based on a Hc11 microcontroller. I want to
>incorporate a few additional features one of which in knock control.
>
>Does anyone out there have any advice as to the best method to implement
>this ? Ideally what I would like to do is advance the timing to the onset
>of knock and then retard it slightly back into the safe zone. The
>controller will be used on a fuel injected 12A turbo rotary engine.
>
>I welcome all ideas and comments about this.

Harris makes a part that is for Knock Control, check the Web site for the
part number. Also TI has a application for one of their low end DSP chips
that lets you do it a bit more elegantly. The Harris part uses moto's SPI
buss so if the varient of processor you choose has it, it will be an easy
interface. I'm not sure how hard it is to get the part, but it is a start.

Sandy