efi fuel tank baffle

Kurt Bilinski kurt.bilinski at GAT.COM
Mon Jun 2 22:57:29 GMT 1997

At 02:14 PM 6/2/97 -0700, you wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, John S. Gwynne wrote:
>
>> I have a 22 gal stainless steal "regular" gas tank. I intend to add a
>> few internal baffle plates to reduce the amount fuel slosh as the tank
>> nears empty. I would like some comments and suggestion as to what
>> might work best (geometry, orientation, sizes....). Thanks.
>
>Ohhh.. damn good question!!  I'm interested too.  First does anybody have
>an info on how much of a problem this really is?
>jw

I think the "right" way would be to have two pickups at each rear corner.
These
would feed two low pressure pumps which dump into a small sump (kind of like
a dry sump).  A third pump, at the appropriate pressure would then feed the
engine
from that tank.

For a simpler approach, a physical sump could be positioned at the
rear center of the tank, with a volume sufficient to feed the engine during
the
longest turn.

I had an oil pan with "mousetrap" doors that supposedly trapped oil near
the pickup.
I suppose this could be tried for the gas tank too.  It just seemed to me
the gas
could run right around the doors, reducing or eliminating their effectiveness.

Just my opinion,

Kurt