efi fuel tank baffle

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Mon Jun 2 23:38:04 GMT 1997

> First, please don't turn this thread into a discussion on how you
> should or should not weld to a gas tank...

No Sweat John, we know you know not to weld the tank with the gas inside
<smile>.

> nears empty. I would like some comments and suggestion as to what
> might work best (geometry, orientation, sizes....). Thanks.

An approach that work's well is to measure the diameter of the fuel pickup,
or pickup and fuel pump.  Quadruple that measurement, and cut a piece of
thin steel approximately 4" high by the quadrupled measurement.  Then, on
the bottom of the long side, cut notches about 1/2"x1" (approximately,
doesnt have to be exact), and then roll that rectangle into a cylinder, and
tack weld it together.  What you should have is a 3-4" cylinder with a
straight top and a notched bottom.  Tack weld that cylinder to the bottom
of your tank, and put the fuel pickup back in.  This works assuming you can
seperate the tank without mutilating it.

Another option is to make the same cylinder, make inside pieces to tack the
cylinder (notch down) to the fuel pump, and put the whole thing in as an
assembly.

Just some non-flaming thoughts...

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List