efi fuel tank baffle

Christopher G. Moog cgmoog at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 3 00:09:09 GMT 1997

> On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, John S. Gwynne wrote:
>
> > I have a 22 gal stainless steal "regular" gas tank. I intend to add a
> > few internal baffle plates to reduce the amount fuel slosh as the tank

I'm quoting from TK Garret "Automotive Fuels and Fuel Systems Volume 1:
Gasoline" Copywrite 1991 SAE

"...  a result, when the level in the tank has fallen ... especially
when cornering, all the fuel may swill to one side ... To counter this,
some manufacturers install inside the tank a large cylindrical
surge-pot, usually having an open top, to surround the submerged petrol
pump and its take-up pipe ... In a square tank, holes or slots in the
sides of the pot, but at the level of its baseallow fuel to flow in and
out.  In wide flat tanks, however, they may be in the front and rear
walls of the po, so that fuel does not flow out when cornering ...  In
all cases, the holes are of a size such that the pot is filled at a rate
much faster than that at which fuel is being consumed by the engine ..."

He goes on to describe a series of oneway valves that VW used in their
swirl pot.  In addition the fuel return line usually returns fuel to the
pot.