efi fuel tank baffle

Johnny johnny at johnny-enterprises.com
Tue Jun 3 01:51:18 GMT 1997

Kurt Bilinski wrote:

> At 02:14 PM 6/2/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >

> >On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, John S. Gwynne wrote:
> >
> >> I have a 22 gal stainless steal "regular" gas tank. I intend to add a
> >> few internal baffle plates to reduce the amount fuel slosh as the tank
> >> nears empty. I would like some comments and suggestion as to what
> >> might work best (geometry, orientation, sizes....). Thanks.
> >
> >Ohhh.. damn good question!!  I'm interested too.  First does anybody have
> >an info on how much of a problem this really is?
> >jw
> >

> I think the "right" way would be to have two pickups at each rear corner.
> These
> would feed two low pressure pumps which dump into a small sump (kind of like
> a dry sump).  A third pump, at the appropriate pressure would then feed the
> engine
> from that tank.
>
> For a simpler approach, a physical sump could be positioned at the
> rear center of the tank, with a volume sufficient to feed the engine during
> the
> longest turn.
>
> I had an oil pan with "mousetrap" doors that supposedly trapped oil near
> the pickup.
> I suppose this could be tried for the gas tank too.  It just seemed to me
> the gas
> could run right around the doors, reducing or eliminating their effectiveness.

The mouse trap doors don't need to provide a tight seal. All they need
to do to be effective is to keep the fuel from rushing away from the
pickup. The foam is effective as a "deslosher" too. By preventing the
fuel from rushing horizontally, and providing a box sump in the bottom
rear of the tank, gravity in the down direction (highest average time)
will prevail. If you were going to turn left only, you would put it in
the right rear (obviously).

The other idea mentioned (using a header tank) might be easier to
implement given that you have enough space for it. By just adding say a
5 gal fuel cell (or even smaller), and using a cheapo pump to transfer
from the main to the header tank, you will almost always have 4-5 gal
sitting on your main pump supplying the engine. You can restrict the
vent on the header tank to a pinhole, then run it back to the main tank.
This will keep the header full all the time, but the transfer pump won't
have to run full bore all the time just to cycle the vent line. I think
you can get an RCI 4 gal job for about 85 bucks.

-j-