efi fuel tank baffle

Frank Swygert FARNA at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 4 17:45:11 GMT 1997

James Weiler wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, John S. Gwynne wrote:
>
> > I have a 22 gal stainless steal "regular" gas tank. I intend to add a
> > few internal baffle plates to reduce the amount fuel slosh as the tank
> > nears empty. I would like some comments and suggestion as to what
> > might work best (geometry, orientation, sizes....). Thanks.
>
> Ohhh.. damn good question!!  I'm interested too.  First does anybody have
> an info on how much of a problem this really is?
> jw

I'll second that! I'm new to the group. I have two main interests:
installing a fuel injected engine (specifically a Jeep 2.5L four or
preferrably a 4.0L six) in my 1963 Rambler, or converting a standard
carb 258 six (AMC/Jeep) to a throttle body type injection (direct port
would be nice, but TBI probably easier). I never considered the gas tank
as a possible problem, though I did know I'd need a special fuel pump.
To add to this, Holley and another company (can't remember off the top
of my head right now!) both make add-on TBI units. I have considered one
of these, but write a small magazine on Motorola based computers (6809
and 68K... mainly OS-9 real-time OS), and the idea of building my own
system has its own lure. Point is, neither of these kits mention
anything about gas tank modifications. I guess one would experience some
pressure loss near empty, but I have that with my 87 Pontiac 6000! Park
it on an incline while less than 1/8 tank and it may not start!!

Frank Swygert
farna at worldnet.att.net