Return Fuel Line Plumbing

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Thu Jun 5 03:57:58 GMT 1997

Aron wrote:
>Is there any particular better place to plumb in a fuel return line
>to a stock gas tank?
>Above or below the average fuel line, top/bottom, submerged/not, etc.
>-Aron Travis-
>"always in a automotive frenzy"

Return Line should always go to the BOTTOM of the tank and be submerged at
all times.  Why you ask, well I will tell you.  If you do not return the
fuel to the bottom of the fuel tank, then the high speed fuel splashing into
the fuel in the tank will create little bubbles.  These little bubbles will
bet sucked into the pump and make the pump wear faster.  They will procede
on to the engine and get into the injectors where they will cause changing
fuel mixtures and effect spray pattern and wear of injectors, and they will
go throgh the regulator where they will make the regulator diaphram go
crazy.  A carb would not care since the float bowl is a damper for air and
acts like a surg tank for the fuel so it was never a problem before.  The
sucking of air is also the reason for the baffles in the fuel tanks on the
efi cars.  When mine gets below 1/4 and I corner hard, the engine cuts out
because of sucking air in the pickup.

Just my few pennies.

David Doddek     pantera at pobox.com    www.pobox.com/~pantera    217-422-3722
69 EFI Fairlane, 89 T-bird SC, 74 Twin turbo NOS EFI Pantera #6825
If you are going to go fast, go real fast.