02 sensor mounting

Greg Woods gwoods at symtx.com
Fri Jun 6 13:48:23 GMT 1997

Thanks to everyone who replied on my O2 sensor mounting problem.
I like the anti-fouler idea, I think I might try that.

One question:  The placement of the O2 sensor on an '86 OEM FI GM 2.8L
engine is normally in the exhaust manifold.  I'm not a welder but
as far as I know, I cannot weld a sensor bung into a cast iron
exhaust manifold.  From what I've read the O2 sensor likes to stay
nice and hot.  If I move the O2 sensor down stream to the Y-pipe, is it
going to stay hot enough??

Oh, one other question:  my carberated version of this engine had
an air pump on it.  It seems to me that this air pump injecting air
into the exhaust stream would cause the O2 sensor readings to be
in error.  Do I need to remove my smog pump??

TIA

Greg Woods
gwoods at symtx.com
austin, tx