bhp

George Najarian najay at deltanet.com
Mon Jun 9 20:30:55 GMT 1997

Tom, I can't tell if that is a serious question or not.

If it is, the reason the hp ratings of today have reached the level of the
hp ratings of 71 and before is that modern engines are >much< more
efficient (ve) than in the old days, and they are built for higher rpm
operation (higher operating rpm = more hp for less torque).

If the question was not serious, then the reason is the manufacturers now
use split fires and slick-50 for their dyno testing, which are worth at
least 50hp+.

At 02:20 PM 6/9/97 +0000, Tom Cloud wrote:
>help ....  I've started a firestorm on the Bronco list
>when I said I'd observed in a '77 Motors Manual that the
>bhp ratings on all Ford/Mercury full-size vehicle engines
>dropped 100+ hp from '71 to '72 and that the hp stayed
>down until '77.  Was the way bhp calculated or measured
>changed in '72 or was the EPA-mandated changes the reason
>for the drop ????  If the way it was measured is what
>changed, then why have all the bhp numbers now risen
>back to the pre-'72 numbers and in fact many engines
>have even higher bhp outputs.
>
>(I really want to know   8^)
>
>Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>

George Najarian	| '95 Ford Mustang GTS Cobra (14.07/100.81)
najay at deltanet.com	| '86 Ford Mustang GT Convertible (15.0/92)
http://users.deltanet.com/~najay/   Team.Net (Solo II E/SP)
Najay Engineering - Custom EEC reprogramming service available.