Bosch Platinum plugs, Slick-50, Mobil 1, and Armor-All !!

Kevin Rutledge krr at teleport.com
Sun Jun 15 16:24:15 GMT 1997

At 10:26 PM 6/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I thought I would interject a little study that I performed on the
>standard AC plug, the Bosch Platinum, and the Rapidfire plug by AC.
>
>I went from a standard AC to the Bosch in 1993 at 65,000 miles, and
>picked up 2 MPG; I also replaced teh timing chain at the same time, as
>well as the plug wires.  Take it for what it's worth.
>
>I replaced the Bosch plugs at 90,000 miles in 1995 with AC Rapidfires.
>I saw no performance imrovement, even considering the Bosch plugs had
>25,000 miles.  The Bosch still look good and I could re-install them.

I don't know about mileage or power gains, but it's been my experience
(over and over) that Bosch plugs are of a much better quality than many
others.

I have seen many a car enter the shop with a plug or two that had the end
blown off of it. These cars had AC, Champion, or Splitfire plugs in them.
I have never seen this happen to a Bosch plug (even with a detonation
problem) We double checked these plugs and they were the correct plug the
plug manufacturer recommended.

When you work on the same cars everyday, you get really familiar with the
level of power a car has. I have noticed that Bosch Platinums or NGK
Platinums do increase power to some degree.  The big difference they make
is driveablity. The cars accelerate smoother.  BUT, not every car can use
them... for example: 83-86 Volvos will ping like crazy with platinums.

Anyway, that's my input on the subject.

Kevin Rutledge
Volvo & Saab Technician