307kW Holden V8

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Tue Jun 17 00:07:30 GMT 1997

> How about an interpreter??? Can anybody tell the rest of us what the
> down under crowd is talking about with all gtv, htr, stuff??
> The way I understand it a holden is the Aussie equivalent of a chevy???
> If thats true, what's alll the alphabet soup stuff???

Ok,
Holden = General Motors Holden (Yes it's part of the US GM)

Commodore = largish family sedan. Normally fitted with buick 3.8 V6,
but in a RWD format (and a TH700). Also fitted with an australian made
5.0 V8 engine unrelated to any US engine.

HSV = Holden Special Vehicles. Arm's length company of Holden, modifies
cars. Generally overpriced, but retain their value. Drivetrains are
fitted on normal production line, then go to another location where the
interior/bodykits/wheels/brakes are added.

HRT = HSV's racing division.

GTS-R = The "fastest" HSV commodore. Fitted with a stroked 5.7 liter
("350") engine making 215 kw (=300hp), 6 speed corvette style gearbox.
Unfortunately this car is painted in the same colour as taxis. At
nearly twice the price of the 168kW Holden commodore SS, you really
have to wonder... (A subaru WRX is about as fast :-)

There are about 5 or 6 companys offering superchargers for the holden V8
(including whipple, paxton etc) as well as a few locally made ones.

Diy_efi content: The commodore uses an interesting mix of GM C5 computer, VDO
instrumentation and Bosch cruise control/ABS. This also extend to the
interesting mix of weatherpack and standard automotive connectors in the
engine bay :-(

Cheers,
Craig.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6260