Whipple (AutoRotor) Compressor

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Tue Jun 17 05:05:25 GMT 1997

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Johnny wrote:

> Now Jim, this is obvious baiting here. I'm sure what he meant to say was
> that reprogramming the valve body, increasing the line pressure, and
> defeating the accumulator allows the bands and clutch packs to be
> applied quicker, which usually reduces wear on those friction surfaces,
> but unfortunately, is only harder on the hard parts like the planatary
> gear sets, and sprague clutch (if there is one).

This depends on the brand used, IME. Using the correct one, and doing it
by the book increases the life of most components, and reduces the life
of none, including planets and spragues. Don't forget that performance shift
kits started out as the original box kits that were developed to fix
type-specific weaknesses with some additional stuff included. I don't
know of any A/T whose life is reduced by installing  either a -Co or -Go kit.

Jim Davies
...still in the dark about dog clutches of any size