Whipple (AutoRotor) Compressor

Johnny johnny at johnny-enterprises.com
Tue Jun 17 07:19:49 GMT 1997

Jim Davies wrote:

> This depends on the brand used, IME. Using the correct one, and doing it
> by the book increases the life of most components, and reduces the life
> of none, including planets and spragues. Don't forget that performance shift
> kits started out as the original box kits that were developed to fix
> type-specific weaknesses with some additional stuff included. I don't
> know of any A/T whose life is reduced by installing  either a -Co or -Go kit.

I would agree with that. I should have probably said the gears make take
more of a pounding than when the clutches slide-shift, but not enough to
do them any harm. And, if you are applying more power than usual, the
friction parts are still going to be the parts that wear, and severly if
they are allowed to slip. I have seen a few broken bands after a shift
kit installation though, but this can be remedied by using a more heavy
duty band... the one that should be included in a good kit. When I
worked in the transmission shop, I don't think I saw too many hard parts
broken, with the exception of the sprague cages on Torquflites, but this
was usually caused by the low-reverse band (i think) being fried first
and the sprague having to do more than it's suppose to, while most
manual shift valve bodies eliminate the need for it all together (they
know it's a weak link).

Now early 700R4 might be another story. I was out of there long before
those came about.

Ah, the old transmission shop... I can almost close my eyes and smell
and feel that burnt up tranny fluid running all the way down my arm and
into my shirt.  ;)

btw, small doggie clutches are what your cat doesn't want to fall into

-j-