GM TB injector questions, HELP!

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Tue Jun 17 19:37:02 GMT 1997

> Well I finished my carb to TBI conversion on my 86 chevy 2.8l last
> night.  Double checked everything and turned the key hoping to hear
> the engine spring to life.  But alas, it was not to be... so now I
> have questions!
>
> I put a DMM (I have a cheesy little Radio shack analog meter) on the
> injector leads, cranked the starter and the meter seemed to move to
> about 2 Volts. I know that the injectors are pulse width modulated,
> and at start up I expected the reading to be closer to 12V.  Their
> is a high pulse width at start up right?  the DMM should integrate
> the signal and show around 12V, right???
>
> The throttle body (w/ injectors) was purchased from a junkyard.  I
> hosed the thing off good with carb cleaner and put a rebuild kit in.
>  New seals and filter screens around the injectors.  Could the
> injector solenoid be stuck?  How common is it for these injectors to
> go bad??
>
> I see no evidence of fuel being sprayed into the throttle body when
> I crank the starter, I don't smell it or see a trace of it.  Is it
> the injectors, or the computer...  HELP!!:)

Is the ECM alive at all?  When you turn the key on, the check engine
light should come on, then go off.  If you short pins A&B on the
diagnostic connector and turn the key on (not start) then you should
at least see the check engine light flash a code 12, maybe some
others.  If that doesn't happen make sure the ECM is connected right,
has power, etc.

Then make sure you have fuel pressure.  I think there's a
schraeder valve somewhere (fuel rail?) that you can connect a
pressure gauge to.  Turn the key on, and push the deally in and see
if fuel squirts out.  If there's no gas then put your voltmeter on
the line to the fuel pump.  when you first turn the key on, you
should see the ECM turn the pump on for a few seconds, then turn it
off.  It should come on again while you are cranking.  If everything
is ok up to this point your injectors may be bad.  you can try
jumpering them to 12v to see if they spray, but like someone else
said be careful.  If you want it to run for a few seconds, pour a
little gas (1/2 cup or so) on the air filter and install it, then
crank.  That should allow it to start and run for a few seconds.

good luck, I've got a DVM and I'm here in Austin if you want to
borrow it.

there is gas in the tank, right???  :-)

--steve