plugs & hp increases

Gregory Chan gchan at compserv.senecac.on.ca
Wed Jun 18 15:30:14 GMT 1997

> Date:          Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:12:16 -0400
> From:          Barney Ward <bvward at idt.net>
> To:            diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject:       Re: plugs & hp increases

> > Japanese cars don't like Bosch plugs. I spent days figuring out an
> > erratic idle problem which disappeared when I reverted to NGK.
> > My buddy was also having the same problem with the same cure.
> > I heard they work beautifully in German cars though.
> >
> > gchan at compserv.senecac.on.ca
> Please explain how the nationality of the car affects plug type. Do they
> use different materials in the cylinder heads? This seems like saying
> "my Pinto runs good on Amoco, but my Vega likes Shell." What's the
> correlation?
> Barney ,
                I had a problem with an erratic idle speed where the
car would cut out at the lights. I spent quite a while on this
problem and eventually bit the bullet and took it to a shop. The guy
checked the plugs and quoted me the price of a new set of plugs and
half an hours labour. I said OK and he replaced the plugs and the
problem went away, the car's idle was rock steady. Of course I have a
lot of aftermarket parts in this car. The guy then proceeded to tell
me that through experience he had determined that those plugs don't
work that well in these cars. My buddy with an Integra was having the
same problem and after changing back to the original plugs his
problem went away. Other than that they performed OK and no, I
can't explain why that happens.

You can draw your own conclusions from this but when my buddy changed
his plugs and his erratic idle went away that convinced me. BTW my
car is a Corolla GTS.

gchan at compserv.senecac.on.ca