Using a scope

Gregory Chan gchan at compserv.senecac.on.ca
Thu Jun 19 15:09:09 GMT 1997

> Being a mechanical engineer, I have a natural fear of electrons or in
> other words a little knowledge is dangerous.
>
> If you hook up a scope to something like a injector circuit are you
> suppposed to use isolator transformers or somekind of isolation circuit
> to protect the scope?  Are these built into the scope?

You don't have to in this case because the car is isolated from the
AC mains, however, if you were working on a TV, you would have to
use an isolation transformer.

> In Dallas on the first Saturday of each month, there is a swap meet for
> electronic stuff.  It started out decades ago as a ham radio meet, but
> as evolved to a computer orientation.  There is a lot of test equipment
> there including HP stuff.  Can I tell if a scope works properly as long
> as the guy can turn it on?

Scopes normally have a connector built on them which says calibration
and generates a 1khz square wave at 0.5V. You basically turn the scope
on and put the probe tip to the connector then check to see that you
get a square wave with the correct volts/div.

gchan at compserv.senecac.on.ca